By now, all the pressure to identify your 2022 goals has passed. You either have them, or you don’t. If you don’t, it’s not too late. You can set goals any time you want. If you have already established your goals for the year, good for you; now, let’s boost what you have so far.
Linked here is a goal planner worksheet that will help you organize your thoughts and serve as a blueprint for achieving your goals.
At the top of the page, there is space to include your purpose or personal mission statement and your key values. Along the left-side column is eight principal dimensions of your life; Financial, Career, Health, Relationships, Recreation, Contribution, Personal, and Education.
Many people spend their energy trying to find balance in their life. Stop. Strive for harmony instead. Place one or two complementary goals for each dimension of your life. You will find your chances of achieving more increases dramatically.
For the remaining columns, there are two paths you can take. Basic, which is the minimum, or Advanced, which requires a little more thought and will increase your clarity and the speed at which you achieve your goals.
I/We want to____________
Decide on the specific things that you want to do, have or be during the year.
- Basic: Create S.M.A.R.T. goals for each dimension of your life.
- Advanced: Phrase the S.M.A.R.T. goal as a question beginning with “Why…?”
Determine the purpose of each goal.
- Basic: Describe why* you want to achieve each goal.
- Advanced: Describe why* you want to achieve each goal and how you imagine you’d feel once you did.
*Note: The why is personal to you. Do not feel compelled to share it with others. The fact that you want it is enough.
So, I/we will ___________________
Do the actions that need to be done.
- Basic: Create a simple task list of things to do to help achieve the goal.
- Advanced: Include the financial and personal resources you need to achieve each goal.
Deadline when the goal will be done.
- Basic: Stack rank your 1, 3, 5, or 10-year goals.
- Advanced: Have a specific date by which you plan to achieve each goal.
Put it all together.
I/We want to ______________________________
so, I/we will _______________________________
It is rare for a goal to show up on your doorstep neatly wrapped with a bow. Goals are a messy business. They involve thinking, effort, negotiation, and involvement. If you want to work on wishes, save your coins and spend a day or two at your local wishing well. If you want to work on your goals and, by definition, your life, get started today.
Boston-bred and California-chilled Karl Bimshas is a leadership consultant, author, and podcast host who collaborates with underestimated professionals who want to become confident, competent leaders in their field without becoming a jerk.